Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Simple Granola

Thought I would pass along this great granola recipe. When you smell like cows half the day it is good to come in and smell something good cooking! This is a recipe Brenda uses all the time from a family cookbook, Stoltzfus Family Cookery.

Simple Granola
2c whole wheat flour
6 C rolled oats
1 C coconut
1C wheat germ
1/2 C water
1C. oil
1 C honey or corn syrup, or Maple syrup
2 tsp vanilla
1 T salt

Combine first 4 dry ingredients. Blend remaining 5 ingredients separately, then mix with dry ingredients. Spread on 2-3 greased cookie sheets. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour, or until dry and golden. (I stirred and turned pans half way through) Store in covered containers. Tastes great in yogurt, or milk or just plain!
*Optional-add various nuts before baking (I added sunflower seeds and walnuts)
* also when eating stir in some raisins or craisins .
To all my fellow campers and reenactors... in the side note of the recipe, it says they made this in Hatti in cast iron kettles over charcoal fire until it was dry.

1 comment:

Holly said...

Yum, I think I'll try that! Love you!