Sunday, August 22, 2010

Peaches, peaches, and more peaches! Also yogurt and cheese!


Ben's uncle (or great uncle, somehow related!) has a farm. Well every year we usually get some produce from them. Ben's parents went and brought back some peaches for us. So we decided to try out our new dehydrator.
Let me tell you about the deal we got! When I was in SC they had a dehydrator in the marked-down rack at the grocery store. It was on sale for $30 with 14 $1 off coupons. So I thought why not? Even if it is a cheap one, for $16 we can experiment with it. We had been wanting one for a while. Well when I got to the counter it was actually $20, so with the coupons I got it for $6!!
So our first venture with it was the peaches. They turned out real good! I love them. I have taken them to school and left on my desk for when I get the munchies.
All said and done with all the peaches plus some more we got at market, we dehydrated a couple batches, and put up almost 30 jars of organic sugar freezer jam!! Yum yum!!
Well the little cooker I am, I have also been experimenting with making yogurt. It has turned out pretty good and pretty cheap, which is good since we practically drink it! I am still perfecting it. One night I forgot to turn the heat in the crock pot off and the milk sat in the jar in the heat all night. Well needless to say, I killed any cultures so I did not have yogurt. However I did have some curds and whey separation going on. So I thought, hmmm I will try to make cream cheese. So I hung the curds up in a very thin towel to get all the whey out, and after a while and few squeezes, I had my cream cheese! It tastes delicious on my zucchini bread or toast with the peach jam on top!! Peach cheese cake!!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

We picked peaches a while ago and made freezer jam with them, I haven't thought about a dehydrator though. I may invest in one because I love dried fruit :)